Thursday, February 12, 2009

my evaluation of my education thus far

one of these days soon i am going to decide to what extent i am going into medicine. for some reason i thought that maybe i couldn't pursue that right away, but i just went to academic advising to get help thinking about that and planning and it looks like a possibility that i could get a b.s. instead of a b.a. if i am in school for a few more years, focusing on math and science. i am going to go to the career center, financial aid and registration tomorrow to get all the logistics. once i have my b.s., as long as my transcripts are impressive, i will have more options in the medical field.

i am doing exceptionally well in my algebra class and pretty well in statistics and also taking a class about the health care system, which, because of my disability i fell behind due to poor planning and losing things, but i met with my instructor and she is very supportive (unlike last quarter where i was kind of picked on for being different. you'd think that wouldn't happen at a liberal arts school. i hope i can avoid taking any further classes with that physics instructor). she says i am very smart and a great writer. whenever i take evening and weekend studies the instructors are always really impressed with my writing. the classes i have taken with more freshmen have always been less encouraging. i guess freshmen just out of high school are probably pretty smart in comparison to us old people. anyhow, i took a few english courses at byu but the bulk of my writing skills came from ms luekens (sophomore year in high school) or mr sassenburg (jr year). my senior year teacher didn't get on with me so well because she glared at me anytime i sneezed. i explained to my health care instructor that i had a pretty exceptional experience in high school but i don't remember what bonanza's rank in the nation was at the time. i remember it was high.

the moral of this story is that whether or not i succeed in a class usually has a lot to do with the cultural competency of the instructor.

No comments: