Friday, February 13, 2009

I think I want to go to UW Med School and it looks as if I am still so slow at school that I won't have to attend a lot of extra time to get my BS. If I go until my financial aid just about runs out it looks like I can get a BAS. That would involve about another year of school after next year. I wonder if that cuts into my grad school financial aid... Hope not. I will find out.

Mission Statement

The University of Washington School of Medicine is dedicated to improving the general health and well-being of the public. In pursuit of its goals, the School is committed to excellence in biomedical education, research, and health care. The School is also dedicated to ethical conduct in all its activities. As the pre-eminent academic medical center in our region and as a national leader in biomedical research, we place special emphasis on educating and training physicians, scientists, and allied health professionals dedicated to two distinct missions:

* Meeting the health care needs of our region, especially by recognizing the importance of primary care and providing service to underserved populations;
* Advancing knowledge and assuming leadership in the biomedical sciences and in academic medicine.

The School works with public and private agencies to improve health care and advance knowledge in medicine and related fields of inquiry. It acknowledges a special responsibility to the people in the states of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho, who have joined with it in a unique regional partnership. The School is committed to building and sustaining a diverse academic community of faculty, staff, fellows, residents, and students and to assuring that access to education and training is open to learners from all segments of society, acknowledging a particular responsibility to the diverse populations within our region.

Yeah I think that I am funny enough to choose a school based on its mission statement alone. Well, that and it is in Seattle. But I don't meet with the career development center until Thursday, Feb 26 so we'll see what they suggest. I can imagine that UW is very competitive to get into and I might have to go somewhere else.

No comments: